When I think of my dad, one of the first things I remember is how he made me giggle hysterically with his overly dramatic rendition of Lewis Carroll’s poem “Jabberwocky.” With theatrical arm movements and a melodramatic voice, he would recite, “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!” This was only one of the ways that he entertained me with his great sense of humor.
Of course, he enriched my life in many other ways, as well. When with him he imparted granules of his wisdom, core values and love for people of all nationalities. He and I shared a love of musicals. The evening he took me to dinner, the premier of “The Sound of Music” and then a fancy ice cream parlor was magical.
As each Father’s Day rolls around, I cherish these memories, but how I wish I could spend just one more Father’s Day with him. If I had the chance, I would spend the entire day with him just talking, laughing, sharing memories and telling him I love him.
Which is why I like to gently remind my friends and colleagues that — if you are able to — this Father’s Day is a great opportunity to spend time with your dad! Whether it’s just reminiscing on the phone or going on an all-out excursion, time together now will become precious memories later.
And when it comes to sending him a gift, why not make it something that is meaningful and special to him? We have a wonderful selection of gifts and gift baskets that can be designed to match his hobbies or interests, and can be arranged to arrive as a memorable surprise by Father’s Day. We hand deliver in San Diego and ship gifts nation wide.
Here are a few ideas for how you might want to celebrate your father this Father’s Day:
- If you are lucky enough to have your dad nearby, take him to brunch overlooking the ocean (try Azul La Jolla for delicious food and breathtaking views of beautiful La Jolla Cove), and gift him a Picnic on the Go shoulder pack for future picnics on the beach. Complete with its own removable liner, it’s the perfect way to carry your favorite wine and food.
- If your father is a gardener, take him on a shopping spree to a beautiful nursery like Anderson Nursery which is the best in San Diego, and gift him The Gardener Deluxe, which includes a basket made from a garden hose, gardening gloves, tool, book, flower seeds, and a scrumptious assortment of goodies.
- If he is a movie buff, bring our Movie Night Popcorn Bowl filled with popcorn, cokes, and snacks, along with some good movies to watch with him while you share the treats.
- If dad loves to golf, spend the day at the golf course and give him our Executive Golf Putter that he can use at home or office, which includes two balls, a practice cup, and a four-piece putter.
- If he loves to barbecue, bring over some steaks to throw on the barbecue and give him the gift of a basket with a barbecue apron, a chef hat, and a barbecue tool set.
- If he’s a photography fan, give him a beautiful photo album made in Bali out of leaves, wood, twigs, and rope, along with a certificate from Nelson Photo Supplies. They not only have great deals on cameras & supplies, but also have classes on photography.
- Or, send an invitation to spend Father’s Day with you at the beach, along with our basket filled with everything you need for a fun day at the beach, including fruit and nut mix, salsa, chips, a towel, a Frisbee, and sun tan lotion.
The ideas are endless. If none of these seem exactly right for you, just give us a call and we’ll custom design one that fits your dad perfectly — no matter what hobbies or interests he might have. You can reach us at 858-578-2740.